Deckchairs

Deckchairs

Quote

The true university these days is a collection of books.
-Thomas Carlyle

Monday 31 January 2011

January Roundup


This is Ightam Mote, a National Trust property in Kent showing its wintery gardens off beautifully. You can read more about this English moated manor house by using the link. I think these houses and gardens, or their cafe's are excellent places to spend time with a book.
Lets have a recap of everything booky in January...
Read - 2 books
Completed -
Blindness by Jose Saramago
Ox-Tales: Water by various writers
Currently Reading -
Whit by Iain Banks
Caught by the River: A Collection of Words on Water by various authors
The English Novel in History 1895-1920 by David Trotter
TBR Pile - currently at 94 with 6 added...
A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb
Tinkers by Paul Harding
The Small Hand by Susan Hill
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
L'Assomoir by Emile Zola
Help by Oliver Burkehart
Challenges -
I seem to have 3 challenges on the go this year. The first one was the 8 reading resolutions for The Octogon this year and I have completed # 5, to read a short story collection with Ox-Tales:Water (review coming soon).
Then I set myself the task to read my literary theory book The English Novel in History 1895-1920 to serialise. I am currently on page 34 with the first chapter summary coming up soon. You can read more about this challenge by using the link.
Lastly I am taking part in a personal challenge with AR, a friend at work, to recommend 3 books to each other, ones we think the other will enjoy, and to read at least one of these throughout the year.
His titles for me were...
The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
Generation X by Douglas Coupland
No Exit: A Play in One Act by John Paul Sartre
My titles for him were...
Blindness by Jose Saramago
Germinal by Emile Zola
Moments of Reprieve by Primo Levi
He is already ahead of me because he has almost finished the Levi.
Wishlist Additions -
Annabel by Kathleen Winter
The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown
The Worm Forgives the Plough by John Stewart Collis
Bloodroot by Amy Greene
Solo by Rana Dasgupta
The Sound of the Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tora Bailey
The Secret History by Donna Tartt
Discoveries -
My unread course book The English Novel in History 1895-1920 by David Trotter during a tidy up at home.
Events -
World Book Night on the 3rd March, a big event to give away loads of free books. Look out for an event near you. I have applied to be a 'book giver' but they were so overwhelmed with volunteers there is a delay on notification. It is a slim chance to be chosen but fun nevertheless. The book I chose was Beloved by Toni Morrison. I will let you know if I get to do this and what my plans are for the books if I get them.

2 comments:

Ann said...

I've just heard that I'm to get copies of 'Half of a Yellow Sun' for World Book Night, so you ought to hear something very soon. How are you going to distribute yours?

Leah said...

Hi Annie, just found out I got accepted too. Really cool. I am in talks with a womens centre in Liverpool but as soon as I know for sure what I'm doing I will post it on the blog. Looking forward to following what you want to do with yours. I have Half of a Yellow Sun at home but haven't read it yet.

Hay on Wye

Hay on Wye