Deckchairs

Deckchairs

Quote

The true university these days is a collection of books.
-Thomas Carlyle

Sunday 16 January 2011

Another project for this year...


I came across this book today, a course book from my Uni days. I hardly read any of it at all at the time, it is practically new. So I have decided to read it chapter by chapter and share what I learn throughout the year. It would be such a waste if it went unread.
I quite like reading literary theory and I enjoyed writing about 2 articles I read for a challenge during 2009, one by Helene Cixous about Feminism, and another by Edward Said about Culture and Imperialism, so I want to include regular posts during this year that dissect what I read along the way.
This book covers an exciting time during novel writing, the period known as literary Modernism, looking at the way writers responded to "contemporary preoccupations such as the spectacle of consumption and the growth of suburbia, or to anxieties about the decline of Empire, racial 'degeneration' and 'sexual anarchy' "and covering mass-market genres as well as classics.
I am looking forward to revisiting this historical period and maybe learning about and exploring some more about the influences and writing evolutions of the time. Writing about it in stages on this blog will help me retain it and I hope will provoke interest in those of you who join me.
Look out for future summaries based on the chapters of this interesting book.

No comments:

Hay on Wye

Hay on Wye