Deckchairs

Deckchairs

Quote

The true university these days is a collection of books.
-Thomas Carlyle

Sunday 25 October 2009

2009 Mini Challenges: Wrap up


I signed up to this challenge when I saw it over at Caribousmom in January and 10 months later they are all completed. Here is how each one went...
1. Read a collection of short stories and blog about it.
I read Jigs and Reels by Joanne Harris. Click the link to read the review.
2. Read a play and blog about it.
I read Three Jacobean Witchcraft Plays (a bookcrossing find in Liverpool).
3. Read a non fiction book and write a review on your blog.
I read Somewhere Towards the End by Diana Athill. Click the link for the review.
4. Read two essays from the same collection and blog about it.
I read essays by Helene Cixous and Edward Said, both from Modern Literary Theory. Click the links to read the posts.
5. Go to a book event and blog about it.
I went to a one day course called The Hour for Loving: Texts in Time at the Liverpool University Continuing Education Department. Click the course title for the post.
6. Borrow a library book and blog about it.
I borrowed A Vegetable Gardeners Year by Dirty Nails. Click for the review.
7. Read a book by a new to you author. Blog about the book and the author.
I read The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Click either the title or author for respective posts.
8. Make a donation, either a contribution to a literary organization or donate a book.
I made a bookcrossing donation. Click the link to read about it.
9. Promote literacy in some way and blog about it.
I organized a bookswap in work. Click the link for the post.
10. Participate in a buddy read or group discussion and blog about it.
I took part in a discussion about The Reader by Bernhard Schlink. Click the link to read how it went.
11. Read a book that is outside your comfort level or from a genre that you don't normally read.
I read The Woman in Black by Susan Hill. Click for the review.
12. Read a classic and write a review on your blog.
I read Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. Click to read the review.
I deliberately picked this challenge because I am not a fast reader so did not want a whole list of books to read on top of the mountainous TBR pile I already have. This challenge enabled me to use some of the books already there as well as put some energy and thought into some events such as the course or the bookswap at work. I have really enjoyed all of it and got to do some things I may not have, had I not taken the challenge up.
Thank you to caribousmom for setting it up.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Congratulations on completing the challenge!!! You did great :)

Hay on Wye

Hay on Wye