Deckchairs

Deckchairs

Quote

The true university these days is a collection of books.
-Thomas Carlyle

Wednesday 11 January 2012

The Octogon Challenge 2012 - updates

I am using this post to keep updated with my progress through the resolutions that I have set myself throughout 2012.

1. To not buy any new books, only acquiring them as gifts, borrowing, or second hand if I have to. This is to get my TBR pile under control and ties in with the The TBR Double Dare run by Ready When You Are, C.B. (see my sidebar)
TBR Double Dare now completed and passed.
The rest of this challenge is ongoing

2. To read Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte Completed March 2012

3. To read 1 or 2 titles that came up during our lit hol discussions
Completed The Summer Book by Tove Jansson in April, which came up in our Jane Austen holiday in Hampshire in 2010.
Currently reading The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad which was my lucky dip title from CS on our Thomas Hardy holiday in Dorset in 2011.

4. To read 3 literary articles and blog about them

5. To compare 3 book to film stories
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (Feb post)
We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (March post)

The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald (June post)

6. To read at least one dystopia novel
Completed The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist in March 2012

7.To read the Zola I have wanted to read since 2009 (this is the 3rd year it has made it on this list)

8.To read another George Eliot if possible

We will see how many I complete by the end of the year.

There are also the books recommended by my work colleagues which I will mark in red when they are completed. We only have to read at least one of the 3, but may well read more.

AR - The Dubliners by James Joyce, Seize the Day by Saul Bellow and August: Osage County by Tracy Letts
BD - The Portrait of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, Trick or Treat by Richie Tankersley Cusick and Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer

I am looking forward to reading as many of those as possible. Completed sections are marked in red.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Awesome resolutions!

Hay on Wye

Hay on Wye