Deckchairs

Deckchairs

Quote

The true university these days is a collection of books.
-Thomas Carlyle

Wednesday 29 September 2010

September Roundup


A few days late with this post due to a nasty little cold virus I picked up at the weekend. Been taking the Rosehip Syrup I made a few weekends ago which is rich in Vitamin C as well as A, D and E, and it tastes good too, hence the picture to your left. The only good thing about being holed up is having a little more time to read...
Read - 2 books
Completed -
An Awfully Big Adventure by Beryl Bainbridge
The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint
Currently Reading - Tethered by Amy MacKinnon
and also The Magic Apple Tree by Susan Hill
TBR Pile - currently at 81 books (according to GoodReads) with one book added...
The Magic Apple Tree: A Country Year by Susan Hill
Challenges - I set myself the challenge, in my directional reading post at the beginning of the year, to read another Charles de Lint novel, and I have now done that with The Mystery of Grace. The review will follow soon.
Wishlist Additions -
The Human Bobby by Gabe Rotter
The Summer Book by Tove Jansson
Discoveries - I guess you could say I have rediscovered an enthusiasm for Charles De Lint novels.
Events - It is not a reading event in itself, but has lead to the acquirement of books on the subject so I am going to include it for that reason. I went on a Herbal Medicine course in Manchester, run by the Low Impact Living Initiative (LILI). It was a brilliant day at Hulme Community Gardens, and so inspirational that I not only immediately went off making lots of remedies that I learned on the course, but I raided some local bookshops for books on the subject. I didn't include them above because they are reference books and not novels, but I wanted to share them just the same...
The Readers Digest Ultimate Book of Herbs
Grow Your Own Grugs: A Year with James Wong
The Holistic Womans Herbal by Kitty Campion
The Food Pharmacy by Jean Carper
Herbal Medicine:The Natural Way to Stay Well with The Herb Society by Dian Dincin Buchman.
Most of these I got second hand so it didn't break the bank and I have had a lot of fun increasing my knowledge in this area. It has been especially useful in looking up cold and flu remedies in the last few days!

No comments:

Hay on Wye

Hay on Wye