Deckchairs

Deckchairs

Quote

The true university these days is a collection of books.
-Thomas Carlyle

Sunday 23 December 2012

Merry Christmas!

The great Gene Wilder, in his most famous role as Willy Wonka. I first saw Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory when I was about 7 years old and it was shown on TV during the Christmas season. We're talking the 1970's. It was pure magic and I loved it. The chocolate room delighted me and the tunnel scene scared me witless, but it was Gene Wilder who captivated me most. Intriguing, unpredictable, beguiling, I was hooked and watched it many times, as a child and as an adult (now owned on DVD!).
I have seen the Tim Burton version but I found it tried hard to be dark and wierd and didn't quite work. The first version is much more sinister, but also warmer and very funny. Of course the original book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was by Roald Dahl and a teacher in my primary school read us the story over a series of tuesday afternoons. A whole class mesmerised, and the perfect way to keep us all quiet. The joy of a good story.
So here is wishing you all a Merry Christmas with a little Festive Magic thrown in for good measure.

Coming soon... my review of All The Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy.

No comments:

Hay on Wye

Hay on Wye