Deckchairs

Deckchairs

Quote

The true university these days is a collection of books.
-Thomas Carlyle

Sunday 3 April 2011

March Roundup


I have been a huge fan of Sophie Ryder's sculptures since I saw her big bronze hare hugging a greyhound in the city of Bath in 1999. I had to find out who the artist was because it stirred such emotion in me. If you google image her name you can see lots of examples of her work, which is mainly huge bronze hares, and so appropriate to the month of March. The drawing to the left is by Ryder too. Take a look at this wonderful artist by using the link above.

Anyway, on to the books...

Read - 2 and a half books

Completed -

The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald

Caught by the River: A Collection of Words on Water by various authors

Currently Reading -

Tinkers by Paul Harding

Through the Garden Gate by Susan Hill

The English Novel in History 1895 - 1920 by David Trotter

TBR Pile - Currently at 96 (according to GoodReads) with 4 books added...

Northern Lights by Philip Pullman

The Unforgotten Coat by Frank Cottrell Boyce

Notes from Walnut Tree Cottage by Roger Deakin

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

Challenges -

Finished The Great Gatsby, one of the titles I have from AR, a work colleague for a personal challenge to read at least one of three books recommended.

Summarised Chapters 2 and 3 of The English Novel in History 1895 - 1920, that I am serialising each month. Will soon be on page 90 and ready for the April bulletin.

Wishlist Additions -

Anthills of the Savannah by Chinua Achebe

Nightwood by Djuna Barnes

Corag by Susan Fletcher

Discoveries - the website Literature-Map is a fun site where you can type in your favourite authors and it conjours up a cloud of other authors that you may also like. Give it a go.

Events -

World Book Night on the 3rd of March was an interesting and successful night with lots of books given and received.

I also went to see one of my favourite theatre companys, Propeller, doing Shakespeares Richard III at The Lowry in Salford. Totally brilliant. A cross between Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween. Great fun!

It's April showers all day here in Liverpool. A rainy sunday, good for reading books!

2 comments:

Ann said...

'A Fine Balance' is one of the most magnificent books I've ever read. I do hope you think as highly of it as I did. And that is a Cottrell Boyce I've not read. Is it a children's book? I thought 'Miliions' was simply brilliant.

Leah said...

I am really looking forward to reading A Fine Balance, I got it from one of the My Life in Books programs with Anne Robinson and wanted to read it immediately. I read a Cottrell Boyce short story which was good, and he had a play at the Liverpool Playhouse a few years back. It does look like a childrens book, but I haven't investigated it much yet. It was a giveaway on World Book Day.

Hay on Wye

Hay on Wye