Deckchairs

Deckchairs

Quote

The true university these days is a collection of books.
-Thomas Carlyle

Sunday 31 January 2010

January Roundup


This brilliant snowman picture was taken with an old Holga camera by my friend a few weeks ago in Northumberland. You can see the rest of holgachick's photo's by clicking the link. The format really suits the snow and ice pictures that she has shot and I was thrilled when she said that I could use one of them.
January appears to have been a month of directional change as far as reading goes...
Read - One book finished, 3 on the go.
Completed - The Deeper Secret by Annemarie Postma
Currently Reading -
The Suspicions of Mr Whicher by Kate Summerscale
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Anthropology by Dan Rhodes
TBR Pile - currently at 76 with 2 new books added this month...
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Blindness by Jose Saramago
Challenges - some books lined up for some of my 8 Directional Reading personal challenges, including a recommendation by e-mail of a Russian author I had not heard of and sounds intriguing.
Wishlist additions -
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Short Stories: Five Decades by Irwin Shaw
The Master and Margherita by Mikhail Bulgakov
The Fifth Servant by Kenneth Wishnia
The Bread of Angels: A Journey to Love and Faith by Stephanie Saldana
Discoveries -
Dan Rhodes
Mikhail Bulgakov, thanks to an e-mail sent to me kindly recommending a book for the 'Read another Russian' section of my New Year Directional Reading list on my Looking Back and Looking Forward post.
Events -
Blithe Spirit by Noel Coward at the Manchester Royal Exchange Theatre.
My Writing America course being cancelled and consequently enabling me to redirect my reading priorities.
The Road at the cinema, which I totally loved and had me thinking about it for weeks, taken from the book of the same name by Cormac McCarthy.
The snow has been coming down again today, its nice to be inside with a book.

3 comments:

Michele said...

How are you liking Gone With the Wind?

lunarossa said...

Love the snowman photo! Found The Suspicions of Mr Whicher extremely boring and struggled to finish it. Brave New Worls is a classic and worth reading. Blindness is shocking and sad in some points but excellent. I'd like to know your opinions after reading those. Just finished When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson and love it. All the best. Ciao. A.

Leah said...

Michele - I am enjoying Gone with the Wind, I am just such a slow reader it is taking a while. I'm up to about page 284. I think its going to be a while before I finish!

lunarossa - I'm looking forward to reading Brave New World and Blindness, I'm in the mood for them. I'm enjoying Mr Whicher so far, I'm about half way through.

Thank you both for stopping by and leaving a comment.

Hay on Wye

Hay on Wye