Deckchairs

Deckchairs

Quote

The true university these days is a collection of books.
-Thomas Carlyle

Sunday 18 May 2008

Hay on Wye, April 26-27th 2008

I went to Hay on Wye for the first time recently with my lovely friend and her sister (not for the festival, just for the books). It was a great weekend and I was like a kid in a toy shop, having to restrain myself from the armfuls of books that I was gathering in each shop. I came home with lots anyway. It was fun getting lost amongst the cavernous shelves of the various shops (The Hay Bookshop, Hay Cinema, Booths and Hay Castle), and also to share ideas with the people I was with. You could spend days in every shop. I now have to be very good because my 'to read' list is out of control. I do love it though.

I must also recommend The Old Black Lion Inn on Lion Street where we stayed. It was excellent value and Hay on Wye is a great place to converge for book lovers.

It was during this visit that the idea for this blog was born, an apt birthplace. We hope to visit again, maybe next year.

No comments:

Hay on Wye

Hay on Wye